You Need to Format the Disk before You can Use it:This is a error which almost everyone has faced.It is recommended to first close/finish all the operation of that drive and than unplug it but in real ‘who cares’.Mostly people unplug the USB drive as it is without using the Safely Remove option.This is not a thing of big concern but if done repeatedly a error will occur when plugging in your USB device next time like as ‘You Need to Format the Disk before You can Use it‘ as a result you cannot access the data in present in the drive unless you format it.
You can simply format the drive and the error will be solved but all the will be deleted.If you have very important data which you need to recover in any case and hence cannot format the drive then we have a solution for you using which the ‘You Need to Format the Disk before You can Use it‘ error will be solved without formatting your drive and also saving your data.
NOTE:- Read the following procedure carefully and follow each step as it is, as any wrong step may result in losing your data and for which neither We nor Techchrist.com is responsible.
You Need to Format the Disk before You can Use it:Fixed
Follow this step by step tutorial to fix ‘You Need to Format the Disk before You can Use it‘ error.
1. Download Testdisk which is free to use.Click here to visit the download page.Select your OS and click the link.
Testdisk is available for Windows/Linux/Mac/Dos OS.
2. Extract the downloaded file and install it.
3. Connect your USB disk drive which needs to be fixed.
4. Now go to testdisk-7.0-WIP.win folder and run testdisk_win.exe application.
5. On the TestDisk utility first screen.See ‘Create’ option is highlighted and press Enter.
6. Wait for the scan for connected disks to finish.Select the Disk to be fixed and press Enter to proceed to disk analysis
7. Select the correct partition table type.For Windows OS select Intel.
8. TestDisk will show the current partition structure, press Enter to Quick Search your disk for lost partitions.
9. TestDisk will show a screen similar to the one shown below if it locates the lost partition.From here Two things can happen.
First Case: If you see a list of lost files like the one below, Press q and continue to the nest step.
Second Case:If TestDisk cannot open the filesystem then a deeper search is required.To do so follow:-
- Press q and return to the the previous screen.
- Now press Enter and to perform Deeper Search press enter again.
- Wait for the task to complete.Once finished hit P to see if your files are listed.If yes then press q and return to previous screen and continue with the next step.
10. Once your files are recognized succesfully,press enter to restore the partition table.Do not overwrite the found partition tableif your files are not listed on the screen.
11. Go to Write option and hit enter.Press y key when asked for confirmation.
Now quit TestDisk and reboot your PC.
Thanks for reading this article “You Need to Format the Disk before You can Use it“.I hope you will now be able to retrieve your data without any problem but if you are still facing any problem for any step in this tutorial,then let us know by commenting below and we will try to help you out as soon as possible.